Childbirth Weekend Intensive
Manhattan Birth welcomes all kinds of couples, families, and pregnant folks in our classes. Single Moms and Single Moms by Choice are also welcome in our classes. We recommend someone from your support team accompany you to class. Our classes are friendly and welcoming to people planning to give birth in the hospital, birthing center, at home, or if you're not sure yet. We would love to have you.
Classes are small and fill up quickly.
All series are offered for two consecutive classes, 9:00 a.m. - 1:15 p.m. (8.5 hours total)
Upcoming Dates in 2017:
- June 11 and 25 (two visits)
- July 30 and August 6 (two visits)
- September 10 and 17 (two visits)
- October 22 and 29 (two visits)
- December 3 and 10 (two visits)
About the Childbirth Weekend Intensive
This 8.5-hour course provides an intense, condensed version of our Comprehensive Childbirth Preparation class. We include what you need to know when planning an unmedicated birth at an in-hospital or out-of- hospital setting in the New York Metropolitan area. We also cover medical interventions in case they become necessary.
We offer evidence based information and practical solutions to the following:
What is natural physiologic labor?
- Learn the signs and stages of labor, the baby’s role and the four things measured in a vaginal exam.
- What actually happens in labor?
- How to know when it’s time to go to the hospital or when to call your birth team for a home birth.
How do I prepare for natural labor?
- What is optimal fetal positioning?
- How can you help get your baby ready for a vaginal birth.
- What you need to know about staying low risk.
How can I cope with pain in labor?
- We practice to learn how to use relaxation, breathing, and hands-on techniques for pain reduction.
- How to be a great labor partner/coach.
- How can a doula work with you and your partner to help you achieve a better birth experience.
What do I need to know about the medical stuff?
- What you need to know about interventions.
- How you can avoid “Failure to Progress”.
- How to write a birth plan that works for you!
- How to advocate for yourself or your partner.
We also include:
- Our class binder with extensive supplemental information.
- Our extensive resource lists for recommended reading, practitioners, and resources online and around NYC.
Our partners/coaches are the most plugged-in and prepared that we see at births. They are familiar with what to expect and can really support their partners through their labors. They take an active role in the labor and feel like they helped give birth to their babies. Single Moms and Single Moms by Choice are also welcome in our classes. We recommend someone from your support team accompany you to class.
That all being said, of course, we also cover all hospital protocols and interventions, just in case things don't go as planned or you are offered something you didn't expect. People who are fully informed of their choices in childbirth have much more satisfying birth experiences.