Breastfeeding Basics for Doulas: Lactation Support from the Doula’s Perspective
A 3-hour in-person course that fulfills the requirements for your DONA International birth doula certification.
"Tanya's Breastfeeding Basics for Doulas class provided me with a really solid foundation. I walked away feeling as if I could assist parents who wanted to breastfeed. In addition, I felt confident recognizing some common issues that may effect successful breastfeeding. As someone who had never taken a breastfeeding class or breastfed, this was a huge deal. Also, Tanya's enthusiasm and passion for breastfeeding support helped ignite my own. Since attending Tanya's class, I've decided to become a Certificated Lactation Counselor (CLC). What I learned in her class helped me a great deal during CLC training. I highly recommend Tanya's class!
- Madeleine Belizaire (NYC Doula Collective)
We offer an in-depth discussion of evidence-based information including:
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- Basic anatomy and physiology (let down, supply and demand)
- Infant capabilities, reflexes and cues
- Counseling the postpartum woman
- Helping women breastfeed in the early moments and early days
- Breastfeeding positions
- Proper Latch
- Early breastfeeding challenges (engorgement, nipple soreness, milk supply)
- When and how to make referrals
***All classes are offered on Monday's 6:00-9:00 p.m. (3 hours total for the course)
Upcoming dates in 2016: March 14, May 2, June 27, August 1, November 7, December 19
Time: 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Location: 106th St. and Columbus Avenue (exact address given upon registration)
Instructor: Tanya Wills, CNM, IBCLC
Cost: $75.00 per person
To register: Contact Us